Monday, June 10, 2024

The Dark Mess of Hoping


 I’m breathing in blank spaces,

the chilly calm where words

hang in icicle spikes waiting

on faith to perform a ceremony of trust

you are what your kiss spoke on my lips.


Fragile stalks me as if I should accept

its curse, become a fainting, messy chapter

in a romance novel I would cringe at reading.


I am more attuned to dark magic than

a simpering, palpitating heart weak

wish for a golden wand to slap you

into what I want you to feel for me.


This sleeping bus of weirdest emotions

is the silly, severe heart crashing I’ve

never imagined I’d be trapped in.


Stop laughing at me as if I were a guppy

swimming in a fish tank waiting for attention

(even though I am), and tell me whether

the fruit of this moment will bring blessing

or rot on my memory until I grow nothing but bitter.  

©Susie Clevenger 2024

Word Garden Word List ~ Night Road







  


6 comments:

  1. Gah. This is insanely good, Susie, and those two closing stanzas are astounding. Love "This sleeping bus of weirdest emotions ...I've never imagined I'd be trapped in" really speaks to me. And the guppy - (even though I am). I so loved this. My words are having trouble these days but I tap away, hopefully anyway. LOL. Just so freaking tired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In uncertainty lies possibility. For myself, I've found that the only one that golden wand slaps in any positive direction is me. (I adore that stanza btw!) You've depicted a very tricky state of mind and heart here--strong, vivid emotion caught in temporary stasis, and it's maddening. You're right, it could end up shooting off in any direction but the one situation it can't abide is staying where it is. Good stuff, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fascinating poem. Somehow I think you worked in ALL of the words. So many different images. I loved the last stanza about the guppy swimming in a fish tank looking for attention.It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem, Susie!
    I love:

    "I am more attuned to dark magic than

    a simpering, palpitating heart weak

    wish for a golden wand to slap you

    into what I want you to feel for me."

    ReplyDelete
  5. A turbulent stream of emotion and imagery but finally so endearing (to the observer) though the one in "this sleeping bus of weirdest emotions" may feel silly as all get out! Loved it, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is excellent! I really like "you are what your kiss spoke on my lips." Wow.

    ReplyDelete