Saturday, December 19, 2020

Smoke Ring on the Wind

 



I’m no hand me down Eve,

dressing my tongue in submission.

 

I can’t be me in another woman’s misery,

but I can sing harmony when another devil haunts my ribs.

 

If there’s a different drum, I’ve already played it,

a different shoe, I’ve already worn it.

 

Time is a smoke ring riding wind

until the clock chimes midnight.

 

I’m made of bone, grit, and song,

an open-eyed poem swimming every river.

 

©Susie Clevenger 2020

The Sunday Muse #139

Sometimes only poetry can say it. I think there's just this deeper language, and away of putting your world back together again and breaking through barriers.  ~  Laura Nyro

When I write my music I see all the rivers flowing... sensual, spiritual, religious, animal, intellectual. ~ Laura Nyro

12 comments:

  1. So many epic lines in this Susie....I would have to quote this entire gorgeous poem. A wonderful ode to all poets, songwriters, and people with a beautiful and honest voice that they stay true to including Laura. I LOVE this my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This grabbed me from that fantastic first line, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzers, Susie. Powerful and strong. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staccato and smooth, sharp and sweet as spiked eggnog, you've nailed the spirit that keeps writing alive. Especially love "If there’s a different drum, I’ve already played it,/a different shoe, I’ve already worn it."

    ReplyDelete
  5. No hand-me-down Eve myself, I identified with every beautiful phrase in this marvelous poem. I especially like "time is a smoke ring riding wind". Your wordmastery never ceases to awe me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m made of bone, grit, and song,

    That says it all right there, a wonderful piece of writing.

    if there's a different drum, I've already played it. Yes, it's the beat that keeps us moving ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susie, I love love this poem! And that you saw the smoke ring. And that you wrote about women with spunk ... like us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m made of bone, grit, and song,
    an open-eyed poem swimming every river.

    She certainly was a talented find. A real pity she left early! Wonderful write Susie!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! "I’m no hand me down Eve, / dressing my tongue in submission." - AMAZING! And stays that way all the way to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susie, your rivers are roaring and the smoke rings floating. I blew many a ring "back then." The girls in school, U of H, were barefoot and had yellow dogs waiting for them out by the building steps. In one class I sat beside one, cutoffs and all. She got really good grades.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strong piece Susie. Magical! Time is a smoke ring riding wind until the clock chimes midnight. Well written. I am listening to Laura’s album “Angle In The Dark” as I write this. Damn she was so good. Left us way too soon!

    ReplyDelete