Saturday, May 30, 2020

Prejudiced Tunnel of Dead Ears



Swallow your wings…
forget the madness of freedom…
the sky will never remember your name.

In the prejudiced tunnel of dead ears
cries for justice are smothered
in the throat press of violence.

We shall overcome sings in tattered notes
as history repeats, and anger lights another match.

How will this end? How will this end when
white is the darkness that measures a soul’s
value by the color of skin.

©Susie Clevenger 2020

Inspired by a Word Crafters Writing Group

2 comments:

  1. Oh Susie this is powerful! I read it aloud more than once. I also love the photo!! You are talented in so many ways my friend. This speaks to what is on so many of our hearts right now. You should share it on the Word Crafters FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! So well said. History is repeating - civil rights struggles is when I came in and I cant bear that it is still happening on my way out. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete