Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Fool's Fruit

Proserpine ~ Dante Gabriel Rossetti 

A fool bears the fruit of a heart
sacrificed to the arms of stone.
Promised love I endure his eyes gorging
on the pale skin of another woman’s blush.

Pruned to be a silent rose, I am a wraith
cast out to roam a smothered wail
where nothing grows but sorrow and anger’s thistle.

But my lips reject the dirge humming in my throat.
Must my spirit die in the hope of resurrection?
It was not my mirror that failed his eyes, but his
that hungered for youth he could no longer conquer.

For now, I dress in midnight’s sapphire, a shadow
formed from the dark side of the moon.
When night frees me to roam sunlight’s match,
I will dance on flames that burn him from my dreams.

 ©Susie Clevenger 2020

Inspired by Dante Gabriel Rossetti's painting and his sister, 
Christina Georgina Rossetti's poem, After Death

The video is the new release from my friend Samantha Fish.

13 comments:

  1. One does suffer when giving oneself to an unfeeling heart. Thank goodness for chances at freedom... taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a stunningly beautiful popem, Susie! The emotions you have given her match the image so well, and your friend's haunting video extends the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosetti's girl in the picture certainly looks like the girl you have written about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You paid homage to brother and sister ... beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (I am struck with how Rossetti's Persepine resembles Waterhouse's "Destiny"!) This is a beautifully crafted poem, depicting the angst of the spurned love. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is by far one of the most beautifully haunting poems I have ever read!💘 Such excellent imagery that would make Dante proud and Christina green with envy!😃 I especially love; "For now, I dress in midnight’s sapphire, a shadow formed from the dark side of the moon." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt, Susie! You made my day!!💘

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have a postcard of this image, along with several others by the Pre-Raphaelites, Susie, and I love your poem. The opening lines are a poem on their own, and I adore these lines:
    ‘Pruned to be a silent rose, I am a wraith
    cast out to roam a smothered wail
    where nothing grows but sorrow and anger’s thistle.’

    ReplyDelete
  9. O Flame Dancer, I will avoid you as you seek the man I happen to love too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To love someone that eyes another. Give heart to a stone and it bears no fruit. I like the boiling rage that is about to froth over. I think he's about to get burned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful words and thank you for video

    ReplyDelete
  12. This fellow has had his with her, pretty crude fellow. I winced when I read of him "hungered for youth he could no longer conquer." His next go around he needs to comply with acceptance of that sorrow.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. her man goes for the younger instead of her. that is quite sad to read about. but the way you told it was so eloquent it just amused me. great write! thank you.

    ReplyDelete