Friday, October 18, 2024

Starving Freedom Won’t Stop Hunger



In a box where bells ring,
but are seldom heard
I lie on a library shelf
waiting for bold eyes
to search the unseen.

They say (the nameless) 
I suffer symptoms of melancholy,
an archaic, ingenuous way
of deflecting their pox
of ignorance scarred curiosity.

In The Great Burning of Books
I survived the matches, the ashes,
the rabid theologies of supremacy
that believed masculine porcelain 
should be the only place setting
at the table. 

I am thought to be a mere bauble
among the reams of patriarchy, 
an artifact of the defeated no one
would ever seek, let alone read.

They haven’t considered starving freedom
won’t stop hunger, nor will boots 
on throats eradicate questions. 

The wind of whispers is growing louder.
My hidden pages feel the shiver of resurrection.
Scents of perfume, sage of cleansing, garroted 
feminine finds the keys to emancipation. 

©Susie Clevenger 2024


8 comments:

  1. Wow! Kapow! Your writing grows more powerful by the poem. I love "starving freedom wont stop hunger/ nor will boots on throats eradicate questions." Awesome! You had me at the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not going back! They can't silence us. Btw don't be afraid of the lion in the video--he's a Motor City Kitty, a friendly Detroit Lion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful, brilliant and spot on Susie! I love the strength each stanza holds! Oh so love the title and "the wind of whispers is growing louder"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie, your poem builds to a crescendo of power! I love the last line:
    "feminine finds the keys to emancipation. "
    Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite line: "My hidden pages feel the shiver of resurrection." A thrilling read, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many amazing lines in this poem I don't know where to start. Well....with the title, I love. The "masculine porcelain" at the table, "boots on throats" and their "pox of ignorance". Well said, powerful and timely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, those two final stanzas are stirring, Susie!

    ReplyDelete