Monday, October 24, 2022

Vanity Hounds Me

 

Photo by Brooke Shaden

 
“Vanity is becoming a nuisance, I can see why women give it up, eventually.
 But I'm not ready for that yet.” ― Margaret Atwood, Cat's Eye

 A mirror doesn’t accuse. 
It is I who cuts myself
into a thousand miseries.

I am pottery painted
by every word I pull
through the glass.

An aged vessel, I search for flaws,
dividing myself by scars, and
yesterday’s photos…
a seeker of lost ignoring found.

Gratitude prods me to look
deeper than vanity’s gnawing hound,
but I’m too human to not wish
the calendar wasn’t turning me
into a dried apple. 

©Susie Clevenger 2022


8 comments:

  1. "into a thousand miseries."
    Nicely stated

    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the honesty of the pained voice in this poem, Susie! Despite the fact she's torturing herself, it's so beautifully written. I love the phrase "vanity's gnawing hound," it's so appropriate! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way will your radiant face ever resemble a dried apple. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uniquely powerful imagery of self-inflicted pain in the first two stanzas, barely skirting despair. So well crafted. I especially like the turn of perspective and also wry humor in the closing stanza. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are no dried apple, woman. You are a plum! (And you are the featured poet at the Word List this week. I am putting it together right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this poem Susie. I can relate to it deeply and the imagery is perfection from the glass! I agree with Shay, you are no dried apple my friend. You are a gorgeous plum and so is your poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I am pottery painted
    by every word I pull
    through the glass." Oooh! Oooh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Women know so many ways to hurt themselves. You will never be a dried apple, always a rosy peach!

    ReplyDelete