Friday, September 9, 2022

Symbols and Such

 


In the bizarre ritual
of dividing self
between reality
and gingerbread expectations
of love, I walk the island 
of my watch trusting
a vase of ecstasies 
filled with lilacs and peonies
(symbols and such)
will woo romance
to my door before time
robs them of their blush.

With all the romanticizing of romantic
there must be a tall, handsome (malleable)
male roaming his soul to find words
to proclaim (feebly) of his heart’s loyalty
to all things me.

Surely the astigmatism of a besotted eye
would find me so irresistible my kitchen 
of herbs and bones would not offend.

There are islands of letters I’ve collected
from the fallible inklings of masculine absurd
who think their bodies are Eve’s wonderland,
a place where submission would be my blessing.

Of course, no man is an island. 
He prefers a skulk where he can
thump and bluster he has the 
prowess to own any vixen he desires.

Oh, who would believe I’m a fainting goat
lying prone in dreams of Prince Charming.
Springes line my sidewalk to trap egos
silly enough to think a wink and muscle flex
are enough to reduce me to shivers of surrender.

I am a black widow of various talents who knows
how to protect her web from the dissection 
of her spirit to accept less to parade a perception of more.

©Susie Clevenger 2022




7 comments:

  1. Oh my, here is a true and fierce anthem. I love it, and am so glad you wrote this for the list! It appears to me you used every word, quite difficult to do but you pulled it off with skill and power, Susie. Alos, I love the music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the term Shay used fierce. These lines are cutting edge strong my friend, and could slice lies into truths. I love this poem and what it represents! Gorgeous writing Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word fierce too.......strength and wild woman power in every line of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. So many standout lines. Especially love those gingerbread expectations of love. Who doesn't have gingerbread expectations of love? Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an absolutely stunning poem. I love it from start to finish, everything, all stanzas. I can't quote favourite lines without quoting pretty much all of it. The gingerbread expectations of blush, the vase of ecstasies, the malleable male, the kitchen of bones, and the last stanza!

    "I am a black widow of various talents who knows
    how to protect her web from the dissection
    of her spirit to accept less to parade a perception of more."

    *kisses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many delightful lines here: love this image - "There are islands of letters" -- perfect.
    ~Dora

    ReplyDelete
  7. "who would believe I’m a fainting goat" No-one would even imagine such!!!

    ReplyDelete